Recognizing Indigenous People’s Day

Addi King, Student Life Journalist

Indigenous People’s day, October 10th is a day to celebrate and honor the past, present, and future natives across the country and in our small town. The holiday has been honoring and celebrating the natives in America since 1971. Edgewood High School never really celebrated or even talked about Indigenous People’s day. 

As a school, students should be learning about all kinds of different cultures because of how popular Indigenous People’s day has become. Many states and many towns celebrate by holding events like Grand Park in downtown Los Angeles where speakers come and they have food for everyone and parades where everyone in the community can participate. 

As a whole community, Trenton should be participating in events and holding events so that any natives in our town feel like they are welcome and honored by all. The University of Oklahoma holds an Indigenous Royalty Pageant and the school said “The pageant takes place annually during the spring semester and contestants compete in several on-stage categories and an interview with judges prior to the event.” Edgewood has never celebrated Indigenous People’s Day because of how little the school actually knows about it. Senior Rylan Brown stated “I’ve been at Edgewood my whole life and I never knew what Indigenous People’s day was, until talking to you about it. Personally, I’ve never celebrated it at school.” 

Northeastern State University celebrates Indigenous People’s day with a parade. “The pageant takes place annually during the spring semester and contestants compete in several on-stage categories and an interview with judges prior to the event,” says the Office of Student Life of the University of Oklahoma. Edgewood High School, a school that is very diverse, hasn’t celebrated Indigenous People’s day before. Changing this will help students to be better informed about native history and culture.