“Cancel Culture” Strikes at All-Star Game

Noah Richards

Science Teacher Mrs. Hollinger and Senior Luke Raibick can relate through a love of baseball, regardless of potential differences in political opinions.

Noah Richards, Student Life Editor

On Friday, April 2, MLB announced that they would be caving to the pressures of cancel culture by moving the All-Star game out of Atlanta, Georgia. MLB cited the new voting laws in Georgia to be the reason for this change. The game will now be held in Denver, Colorado.

The new voting laws in Georgia include allowing for another Saturday of early voting, requiring photo ID or ID numbers when applying for mail-in voting, prohibiting giving food or drink to people within 150 feet of the election building and 25 feet of the line, and allowing drop-boxes during early-voting periods. 

Despite support from powerful political figures such as President Joe Biden and Former President Barack Obama, many local officials and people on either side of the political spectrum have been speaking out against  MLB’s decision to move the game. 

Both the Republican Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, and the Democratic Mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms, have spoken out against MLB’s decision by citing how much revenue will be lost by the businesses within the city; many of which are owned by people of color. Denying revenue to small businesses that are owned by people of color is the opposite of what MLB claims to be doing as it claims to support people of color.

Teacher and baseball fan, Mr. Kevin Johnson, has standings from across MLB that he keeps up to date. (Noah Richards)

People also believe that politics should stay out of sports. Sports used to be a unifying part of our society. People would go to sporting events, such as baseball games, to escape from the news and politics of the world and simply enjoy the game with other people that also enjoy the game. People will celebrate with whoever is around them in the stands when their team hits a home run to win the game, regardless of their political views. 

As politics continues to be injected into sports, the unifying factor of sports will decrease due to the natural divisiveness of politics.

Because cancel culture could have such a huge impact on America’s pastime, it begs the question: What, if anything, is sacred and safe from the mob?