Coach Osterman Takes on Coaching Boys Basketball

New+head+coach+running+practice+

Photo by Ryan Wirtley

New head coach running practice

Megan Brown, Reporter

New men’s basketball coach,  Jason Osterman, is excited for his first season as head coach of the varsity team at  EHS. Coach Osterman has had experience coaching in the past and is ready for the upcoming season.

Not only looking forward to coaching the team, but Osterman is also looking forward to creating bonds with his players. “I applied for this job because I wanted the opportunity to have a positive impact on the young men in the Edgewood Basketball program, wins and losses come and go but relationships last forever,” said Osterman. He has experience coaching and he is also a teacher. This will be his seventh year as a basketball coach, he coached one year at New Miami, three years as the 8th grade boys coach at Edgewood Middle School, and two years as the Varsity assistant at Edgewood High School. With it being his first year as head coach, he doesn’t plan on changing the culture. “One of the best things about taking over this program is that Coach Thomas left it in a great place. We have a good group of guys that want to work hard and have the ability to be very successful. One of the biggest qualities that I will instill in the Edgewood Basketball program is discipline. We will be a disciplined team on and off the court, work together as a family, and have a lot of fun while doing it,” said Osterman. 

Varsity guard Peyton Smith, is very excited for the upcoming basketball season. Peyton is looking forward to winning games with his friends and bonding over a sport they all love to play. Peyton not only looks forward to the season but also looks forward to the coaching change.  “I love coach Osterman as a person and as a coach. He doesn’t hold back on us and expects a lot from our team,” said Peyton. While this is Peyton’s first full year on varsity, he knows the expectations Osterman is willing to hold Peyton and himself to. “Osterman puts a lot of time outside of practice to make sure the teams are prepared, watching film on us and our opponents to see what we need to improve on.”