The Inauguration of President Joe Biden

Shawna Shepherd

Eligible citizens in line to cast their vote in the 2020 presidential election.

Joseph De Souza, Reporter

The inauguration of the 46th president took place on Wednesday, January 20, and Joseph R. Biden was sworn in as the president of the United States. Before the inauguration, all eyes were on the capital after the riot happened two weeks prior, and some people have questioned the security of the ceremony.

Government teacher Kevin Johnson stated, “I don’t think anything will happen. It will go off smooth as silk — you’ll see that when you have an overwhelming force as they show, that keeps the knuckleheads and the screwballs and the extremists from showing up.” People also raised questions about how the ceremony will be amidst the pandemic. Mr. Johnson predicted, “I assume that in the COVID era, there will be very little attendance.”

Sophomore Ayden Szymanowski said, “I think everyone is going to wear a mask… everything is going to be normal — everyone is going to be spaced out and I don’t think there are going to be that many people there this year.” Former President Donald J. Trump’s decision to not attend the inauguration has been a prominent topic of discussion among citizens and government officials, as well as the media. Ayden said, “I think that was kinda rude. Despite their differences, I still think he should have gone.” 

Some of the attendees included former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, and first ladies Michelle Obama and Hilary Clinton. After Biden was sworn in, there were performances by Garth Brooks, J.Lo, and Lady Gaga. Moreover, the first National Youth Poet Laureate, Amanda S. C. Gorman, read her inaugural poem titled “The Hill We Climb,” in which she reinforced Biden’s recurring message of unity. 

The inauguration of the 46th president was an occasion that will remain memorable in U.S. history because of its occurrence during a global pandemic and a time of civil unrest in America.