Ross Levy Woes Stress EHS Students

Ross+High+School+senior+Sully+Spencer+chats+about+the+levy+situation.++

Photo by Cassie Claxton

Ross High School senior Sully Spencer chats about the levy situation.

Cassie Claxton, Reporter

The Edgewood school levy is coming May 2nd. With many surrounding schools like Ross and Talawanda failing their levies, EHS students are concerned about fine arts, sports costs, and staffing cuts.  

With the risk of fine arts being cut, the cost of participation in sports will increase. Ross High School senior, Sully Spencer explains how the failed levy affected the cost of RHS sports. 

“I play football and soccer so I had to pay $825 each which really cut down athletes that were able to play which sucked for most kids,” Spencer said. “We had a lot of transfers [to Badin High School] after that because it was ridiculous to pay that much for a high school sport.”

Though fine arts and sports are easy targets, failed levies have also been affecting staffing issues in the buildings. 

“We actually lost a lot of teachers when it first started off just because of the pay and everything like that,” Spencer said. 

Amanda Hurst, an EHS junior, is concerned about the musical. “I’ve heard that people are scared that things might be cut like the musical might be cut and different fine arts,” Hurst said.

Some students, such as EHS junior Nora Current, are already accepting the fate of EHS, based on surrounding schools. “There’s like no way this levy is going to pass,” Current said. 

With the risk of a failed levy, comes the risk of taking extracurriculars from students. Whether it is a public speaking class with no teacher, art and choir classes being cut, or sports costing too much, the students will feel the failure of the levy. 

“I think it’s going to affect some people because some people use fine arts and sports to push them through school and motivates them, and without that motivation, some kids are gonna fall behind,” Hurst said.