Prom on Friday

Jillian Johnson, Reporter

This year’s prom will be held on a Friday instead of a Saturday.

Prom will be on May 12 at Lake Lyndsay from 8:00-11:30 pm. Tickets will be sold at lunch the week before for $40 each. Ms. Anderson is in charge of planning prom this year. She has helped out with prom in the past by selling tickets and helping with royalty, but this is her first year planning everything.

Despite prom being on a Friday, juniors and seniors are required to come to school for a half day. On the morning of prom, a College & Career Fair will be held for juniors and seniors. They will be released from the event at 11:15 a.m. and will then be able to go home and get ready for prom.

There were many factors going into the decision of prom being on a Friday, and Lake Lyndsay had a big say in this. 

“They [Lake Lyndsay] decided they didn’t want to reserve a Saturday for proms because they could make more money from a wedding,” Ms. Anderson said. “It was a business decision on their part.”

EHS didn’t want to move the dance to a different location because Lake Lyndsay is conveniently located and not too expensive. 

“If we did, we wouldn’t be able to have a senior carnival because the seniors wouldn’t have enough money,” Ms. Anderson said.

This change has created lots of opinions among students. Senior Libby Parks was confused about how the day was going to work out. 

“I don’t know how it will fit into everyone’s schedules for the day,” Libby said.

Junior Maddy Day will be attending prom for the first time this year. She is concerned about student attendance for the day.

“I feel like a lot of people won’t show up to the dance or school, even if it is decided to be a half day,” Maddy said.

A lot of concerns have also been raised due to students anticipating that they will feel like their day is being rushed. 

“I think it will make the day more complicated,” Libby said. “Instead of making my own schedule for the day, I have to revolve my appointments and stuff around when I get out of school.”

Maddy doesn’t feel that the change will impact her schedule.

“I think the day will look different than it normally would but I really don’t think it will make a big difference to me,” Maddy said.