Football Senior Night Is Right Around The Corner

Courtesy of Katie Clifton

2022 EHS football seniors

Alexis Winkler, Reporter

The Edgewood Cougars’ football team will be having “Senior Night” on Friday, October 21st, at Kumler Field. Running backs coach Mike Smith and the other football staff members are looking forward to watching the seniors get recognized for their hard work and dedication next week.  “I have enjoyed coaching and seeing all the growth with the team in the past 4 years,” said Coach Smith.  

Smith says football is more than just a sport.  “It’s all about teamwork,” said Coach Smith. 

One Edgewood senior, #75, Phillip Johnson has “always had a passion for football.” Phillip has been playing football since the first grade when his nickname was “The Assassin”.

Johnson plays nose guard and defensive tackle for EHS. He has had 54 total tackles, 16 solos, 6 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 sack this year.   

Phillip currently has three offers from local universities to play college football. However, he states “If I don’t go to college, I’ll be going to trade school.”

Another senior, long snapper and defensive lineman, #59, Mason Green, has a bright future in store after his high school season. In late August of this year, Green verbally committed to Indiana State University, making him 1 of few players to ever go D1 out of Edgewood. He says “It’s always been my dream to play Division 1 football.”

“I’ve been playing football since kindergarten. I’ve always been at the center and defensive line. Then around 3rd grade, we were at practice one day and needed a long snapper, so I thought, ‘Why not?’.”

Furthermore, #20, Jake Valerio, has set a high bar for Cougars football during his time at Edgewood. On offense, Valerio has rushed 88 times for 603 yards and 4 touchdowns.  He has 5 receptions for another 58 yards.  While on the other side of the ball, he has had 69 total tackles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions including onr for a touchdown. Jake also won Player of the Week from Tri-State Football after Edgewood’s defeat of Chaminade Julienne in September. 

Including Phillip, Mason, and Jake, 12 other seniors on the football team will be recognized Friday when Edgewood takes on the Harrison Wildcats at EHS.

The theme for the game is “Black Out”. 

Come out to support the Cougars and help recognize the seniors’ hard work!