These Seals Don’t Bark

New Graduation Requirements

Grace VandeRyt

Picture of a customized graduation cap

Grace VandeRyt, Reporter

The Ohio Department of Education added a new pathway beyond just credits and course requirements for high school graduation. This pathway, otherwise known as seals, provides students with opportunities to display skills in order to prove they are well-rounded students. 

Students still need the basic requirements for graduation, and now will work towards earning their seals too. Junior Alivia Spears is aware of the new requirements and thinks they are very beneficial. “The new graduation requirements add more value to a diploma and could make a student feel accomplished.” She also believes these can be a great way for students to get more into our surroundings. “The seals are primarily easy to attain and if students don’t have them already, I think it is a good way to get students involved in the community, class, and society.” Alivia said

EHS counselor, Mrs. Cottingim, thinks these seals can help with students’ futures. Students also must show they are prepared for college or careers. Seals help students develop an array of critical skills that are valuable to them as they transition to the next steps after high school.” Students have the option of what seals they want to complete, but students must have two in order to graduate, one local seal and one state seal. “Students must earn at least two seals. There are twelve seals, nine State-defined and three Locally-defined.” 

Here are some example of the nine state-defined seals:

College-Ready Seal-earn a minimum score on the ACT of an 18 (English) and 22 (Math and Reading) or on the SAT (480 ELA and a 530 Math).

Military Enlistment Seal-Provide evidence that a student has enlisted in a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces; or Participate in an approved JROTC program.

Citizenship Seal-A student can: 

1. Earn a score of proficient or higher on both the American history and American government end-of-course exams; 2. Earn a score that is at least equivalent to proficient on appropriate Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams; or 3. Earn a final course grade that is equivalent to a “B” or higher in appropriate classes taken through the College Credit Plus program.

Science SealA student can: 

1. Earn a score of proficient or higher on the biology end-of-course exam; 2. Earn a score that is at least equivalent to proficient on appropriate Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams; or 3. Earn a final course grade that is equivalent to a “B” or higher in an appropriate class taken through the College Credit Plus program

Seal of Biliteracy-To determine student eligibility to earn an Ohio Seal of Biliteracy, the answer must be an unqualified “Yes” to all the following questions: 

1. Is the student eligible to earn a high school diploma?  Qualifiers: a. Is the student currently a senior or a junior in good standing within 15 months of graduating?
  2. Does the student attend a school that is officially participating in the state’s Seal of Biliteracy program – or – is he or she an eligible home-schooled student?
  3. Has the student met one of the English language arts proficiency requirements for earning a Seal of Biliteracy? Qualifiers: a. Earned a proficient level or higher on Ohio’s required state tests for high school English language arts I and II;
  4. Earned a remediation-free score on the English and reading sections of the ACT or SAT;
  5. Earned a proficient level or higher on an Ohio Department of Education-approved alternative assessment (TerraNova or Iowa Test); 
  6. Earned a score of proficient or higher on the 9-12 Ohio English Language Proficiency Assessment (OELPA). 
  7. Has the student satisfied one of the foreign language proficiency requirements for earning a Seal of Biliteracy? 

Technology Seal

1.  Earn a score that is at least equivalent to proficient on an appropriate Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exam;
  2. Earn a final course grade that is equivalent to a “B” or higher in an appropriate class taken through the College Credit Plus program; 
  3. Complete a course offered through the district or school that meets guidelines developed by the Department. (A district or school is not required to offer a course that meets those guidelines.)

Now here are the 3 locally-defined seals:

1.  Community Service SealStudents must complete a minimum of 10 hours of documented community service during their high school career.
  2. Fine and Performing Arts Seal-Student will complete a minimum of two (2.0) credits in ANY of the Fine & Performing subject areas: music, band, visual art, graphic art. One (1.0) credit in Fine and Performing Arts AND participation in at least one community/school performance.  Community/school performance must be signed off by advisor.
  3.  Student Engagement Seal-Participation in at least one student group, extracurricular, or sport for a minimum of two units (unit is defined by a completed season, completion of activity, etc.) Student must complete verifying paperwork by end of first semester of senior year.