Students receive their PSAT scores

Sophomores+and+juniors+received+their+PSAT+scores+recently.++

Taylor Powers

Sophomores and juniors received their PSAT scores recently.

Taylor Powers, Reporter

Students from EHS have recently received their PSAT scores and are using their results to qualify for scholarship opportunities, as well as seeing what they can improve on for taking the SAT or ACT.                                      

The Preliminary SAT, also known as the PSAT/NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test), is a standardized test that students can take to prepare themselves for their SAT/ACT. It takes place months before the actual SAT/ACT and is most commonly taken by sophomores and juniors. The testing time is 2 hours and 45 minutes, and students are tested on their reading, writing, and math skills. The average PSAT score for sophomores is 920 and 1010 for juniors. 

If students score high enough on the PSAT their junior year, they can qualify for a National Merit Scholarship. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation uses PSAT scores to determine who will become semifinalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program. This is how junior Bailee VonStein plans to use her scores. She says her reasoning for taking the PSAT was that it “helps colleges start recognizing you as a potential student.” Her experience with the PSAT helped her prepare for the ACT. “I sent my ACT score to 4 possible colleges,” Bailee says. 

Another use for PSAT scores is to see what topics students may need to improve on in order to get a better score for their SAT or ACT. Sophomore Rachel Glancy plans to use her scores as motivation. “When I take the SAT, my goal is to get a higher score than I did on the PSAT,” she says. She also plans to use her scores when applying to colleges for scholarships and when applying for other academic opportunities.

If students are unsure about if it’s worth it to take the test, Bailee offers words of advice, “If you are planning on going to college, take the PSAT. Colleges know when you sign up and will send you emails! It doesn’t affect your grades, and in the long run, is very helpful.” 

Test scores are in! (Taylor Powers)