“Senioritis” Has Set In

Mr.+Boyle+is+providing+senior+Karlee+Treadway+with+assistance+as+she+finishes+out+her+senior+year.+

Ashley Shannon

Mr. Boyle is providing senior Karlee Treadway with assistance as she finishes out her senior year.

Ashley Shannon, News Editor

Towards the end of senior year, many seniors struggle with getting themselves to do their work. The lack of motivation they are facing can be referred to as “senioritis.” 

Mrs. Hollinger, a Forensics and Physical Science teacher, teaches about sixty-five seniors and she notices that they’re “lazier than normal and they aren’t as motivated due to circumstances that are going on in the world.” However, it isn’t all negative. Senior Rachel Schriever is focusing on “making memories with friends” while she can before attending college at the University of Cincinnati in the fall, even though she feels like, due to COVID, many seniors “aren’t getting as good of a year compared to what others have had.”

Math teacher Mr. Boyle is focusing on supporting seniors the best he can by “keeping relationships solid with students” to ensure they always feel like they have someone to talk to when they are struggling.

Students like senior Jacob Jump are ready to graduate but “doesn’t feel like [he] ever finished junior year, let alone senior year,” which makes senior year more difficult to grasp. Even though senior year isn’t normal by any means and seniors are missing out on common senior year activities, the phenomenon of senioritis has remained.