Edgewood High School and Middle School Go Hybrid

Hunter Allen

Mr. Chasteen’s COVID reminders.

Hunter Allen, Reporter

Adaptability has been a key characteristic needed for this school year amidst the pandemic. As the pandemic continues to affect the world, schools are questioning what actions are necessary to protect their students and staff. Edgewood City Schools adopted a hybrid schedule with Wednesdays off, allowing half the students to go to school for two days and the other half to go for the other two days. The schedule was only a temporary plan. The change was hard on students and staff, but especially athletes.

Sophomore Ryan Wirtley, a junior varsity basketball player, has adapted to the irregular schedule while following his basketball schedule.  “I have focused a lot on my school work while we are on this schedule, but basketball is another priority,” said Ryan. Balancing school and sports can be stressful, but adding a challenging schedule proved to be slightly more difficult. Ryan had been quarantined two times prior to this new schedule. “I’m excited to get back to school and have a normal schedule, I just hope to not get quarantined again,” said Ryan. 

While this schedule may have been difficult for students, teachers have had a difficult time as well. Mr. Chasteen, the DECA teacher, was greatly affected by the hybrid schedule. Every year, DECA holds an event for students to compete in a business world and advance to different rounds. COVID caused the event to be held online. In addition, the irregular schedule put a disadvantage for competing students because they did not have as much time to prepare for the event. “I love these events but planning them and then having a major schedule change is stressful,” said Mr. Chasteen. He is excited to get back to a regular schedule and for his students to be able to compete again.