The Book Club is Returning Next Year

Taylor Powers

These are next year’s first club picks!

Taylor Powers, Reporter

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Edgewood High School’s Book Club was not able to meet for the 2020-2021 school year. However, the club is currently making preparations for next year’s meetings. 

The Book Club is run by Ms. Fryman, the District Librarian. “I think [the club is] just a little group where people who like to read can share that interest with others,” she says about the group. The group picks a book for the month, and meets once a month where they talk about their opinions about the book. They usually have snacks and they tend to sit close together, which is the reason the club was unable to meet this year. 

Ms. Fryman picks books that have been recently released, and she polls the group to see what books they’re most interested in. Grades 9-12 can participate, and it’s not a yearly commitment, as the meetings are once a month. Skipping a meeting is always an option. Ms Fryman talks about how the club was started, saying, “There was a group of kids that were talking to me, and we decided we had a couple books that we wanted to read together. So we just started meeting, and it grew from there.” She says some of her favorite books she’s read in the group have been  Caraval by Stephanie Garber and The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas.

Flyers can be found around the school with a QR code you can scan to access all kinds of information, like future meeting dates and past books read. The next two books are The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater and A Curse So Dark And Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer. The next meeting will be on September 3, 2021.